And thanks to the ladies, Joy and Tracy, at the Joy the Baker podcast, I was reminded that I gotta get going on my list of things I want to do this summer or it's going to be gone before I know it!
So here's my List for a Summer of Progress and Fun! (Yes, both Lee and I want to do loads of fun things AND get some stuff done on our to-do list while we have lots of daylight!)
1) Garden: Specifically, not kill my garden and actually work on it so that it's pretty and does well throughout the summer and fall. Yes, I have killed my garden every July the last few years.
|Early summer garden--I've got a lot of hope!|
2) Watch a cool show: Road trip to Las Vegas to watch a Cirque du Soleil show with Lee. They really know how to do it there! We're leaning toward The Beatles Love show. Plus, it will be a nice, quick getaway.
3) Finish up a project: Lee wants to reupholster these two chairs we picked up along the way that have been an eyesore in our living room. They've been waiting for our attention.
|Not cute now, but will be after this summer!|
4) Visit family: Go visit my sister and her family before they move to Iowa. Iowa is so far away from Utah. Boo!
5) Style our home: Finally decorate our entertainment room and bedroom. We've lived in our place for over 3 years now and we may or may not have all our photos and pictures still propped up against our wall, not on it.
|Why yes, that is an eye, a heart, and a ewe on that letterpress card.|
6) Rough it: Go camping with Lee. It's been a while since we've been able to get away and be at one with nature.
7) Learn a new cooking skill: Learn how to to make homemade gyoza skins. Yeah, this Asian is finally going to learn how to roll it out!
|Hoping to get more Asian points this summer|
8) Make a useful space: Re-do our office/workroom. It's a catchall room and is totally not functional. We want to make it into a place where we can hang out and relax, but also get some projects done.
9) Party!: Host our 9th Annual Cheese and Italian Soda Party (read about our past parties here and here). It's our 9th year! I think our theme this year will be "Dressed to the Nines" and we'll require that everyone be dressed up fancy pants!
|Part of the spread of cheese at the 8th Annual Cheese Party|
10) Get organized: Purge and organize our storage shed. I think this will make me happy. Lee is cringing a little about this one, but it will be good.
11) Get out and bike: Specifically, ride our bikes around Bear Lake. It's a 50 mile ride, and Lee did it as a boy scout for a merit badge when he was a kid. I think it will be fun to do on good bikes.
|I like to ride bicycle, I like to ride my bike!|
12) Get a goal: Sign up for the Dirty Dash and train for it. It's not till September, but I want to fit some running in this summer!
13) Play a tune: Get my clarinet tuned up and practice it once a week. I love playing and it's been a while.
|I love my clarinet!|
14) Be with family: Have a couple of summer dinner parties with my siblings and Lee's side of the family. We all get busy, so we're trying to make a point to spend time with them all at some point in time.
15) Read books: Read these books specifically. Some I've read before and want to re-read. Others, I've had on my list for a while.
|My summer reading list|
15) Learn something new: Take a couple of fun classes like cooking or gardening classes. I already crossed off one gardening class--Growing Gourmet Mushrooms. I'll be writing a little bit more about this later. Here's my inoculated shitake mushroom log! How exciting!
|Our pet shitake log|
16) Relax: Lastly, relax and enjoy this summer. I always feel obligated to go to everything that we're invited to and I end up feeling like I don't have a minute to myself. This year, I hope I won't feel so stressed and we can enjoy ourselves.
Here's to this summer!