Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pastry Wednesday: Vosen's Bread Paradise

This particular week, it was my turn to bring something for Pastry Wednesday. I wanted to go somewhere different (other than Gourmandise or Tullie!), so Lee suggested Vosen's.

Vosen's Bread Paradise is a German bakery in downtown Salt Lake City.

Picture from CityWeekly here.

Enough said.

If you've ever been to Germany, you know that they sure know how to make pastries there.

Lee brought us a nice assortment of pastries.

The box of goods. YUM-O!

Yes, they look just like lowly doughnuts, but they didn't add "Bread Paradise" for nothing!

We tried 5 different pastries. 

My plate with my portion of the goods

First, we tried the berliners.  If you recall the urban legend when JFK was giving a speech in Berlin and said "Eich bein ein Berliner" ("I am a Berliner."), he wasn't calling himself a lovely jelly-filled pastry from Germany, like these raspberry- and orange-filled ones pictured below.

Best Berliner ever!

I have never had a more excellent jelly-filled doughnut before in my life. The bread is a little sweet with the perfect density!  And the jelly--not too sugary or gelatinated like the grocery store varieties.

Then, I tried these two pastries.  I am not sure their names, but they were glazed croissants with filling. One had a custard filling, and the other, chocolate. 


After these pastries, I wish I lived either in Germany or closer to Vosen's.  That's all I have to say about that. By the way, does anyone know what these are called for future reference?

The last thing I tried, and probably was my favorite was this custard-filled roll. 

Best custard roll thingee ever!

They use the same custard--super creamy, lightly sweetened, vanilla-flavored--rolled into each layer, then covered with a glaze. Maybe it's just me, but I like to unroll sweet rolls and eat them a little at a time. And the nice thing about this roll was that I always had some custard in my bite--that's probably why I liked it so much!

We all agreed that it's time for you to try Vosen's.

Sugaraholic discussing the merits of these lovely pastries!

Dear friends, if you have been to Vosen's, what other things should I try next time?


Vosen's Bread Paradise
249 West 200 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84101-1304
(801) 322-2424

1 comment:

What's that you say?