Friday, August 31, 2012

Timing and a long weekend

It happened again.

We got peaches from Grandma Italy a couple days ago for canning. I was hoping they wouldn't become too ripe, so we could can them over the long weekend.

Millions of peaches, peaches for me!

But yesterday, we could tell was the very last day we could stretch it out. And because we seem to have this problem every year, we started to can peaches last night at 10 pm.

Prepping the peaches

I do love the time spent with Lee, listening to music and working assembly line-style.

Removing skins

But it sure does make for a tired Winter and a tired Lee in the morning!

Summer in a bottle!

At least we have 20 quarts of canned peaches now--yum!

Plus, that leaves our weekend a little more open to pick raspberries and try this recipe for peach raspberry jam that Grandma Italy gave me, go to Swiss Days in Midway, perhaps check out the sheepdog competition, and maybe even have some friends over for a BBQ.

I'll be back next week with a series of posts called How to Host Your Own Cheese Party, plus a recap of our 9th annual party.

We hope you have a nice, relaxing weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm, I love peaches! Peach raspberry jam sounds delicious too, I must try that!
    Visiting from Saturday Sharefest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Canning peaches at 10pm with the hubby sounds like fun. I've never canned anything before but I would love to try sometime. Do you ever posts "how-to" instructions for canning peaches?
    Stopping by from SITS Sharefest. Happy September!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, those peaches look so yummy! Well done. I hope you've recovered from your late night. When they need to be processed you just have to bite the bullet and do it -- they won't wait.

    Midway is lovely. I hope you enjoy Swiss Days.

    Happy Sharefest. I hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete

What's that you say?