Monday, July 15, 2013

Our Top 10 Podcasts

Lee and I are a little addicted to podcasts right now--we listen to them while we are getting ready in the morning or making dinner or winding down at the end of the day.

My wonderful mother-in-law, Mom K, is responsible for this current obsession, when she first shared with me the podcast Stuff You Missed in History Class. She's a huge history buff and thought I would enjoy it also.

I did enjoy it and the rest is history (ha ha, get it?)! Here are our favorites right now:

1. Good Job, Brain: This podcast is all about trivia. Started by a Kickstarter campaign, this team of pub trivia nerds gets together and talks about a particular topic each week. I have never been into Trivial Pursuit, but now I am! A new episode comes out most Tuesdays.

Good Joy, Brain! podcast

Joy the Baker Podcast: I've been following both blogs Joy the Baker and Shutterbean, so it only seemed natural to start listening to their podcast about totally important unimportant things. They do talk about food, but mostly about everything else. Plus, they'll answer your question! New episodes come out on Thursdays.

Joy the Baker Podcast

Stuff You Should Know: I love Chuck and Josh, the hosts of SYSK. They do a great job of presenting together and they have a ton of fun talking about everything from bitcoin to music sampling to electroconvulsive therapy.

Stuff You Should Know podcast

Stuff You Missed in History Class: My first podcast (and an off-shoot of the Stuff You Should Know group)! You don't realize how little you know about history until you start listening. I love how in depth they cover each topic, but it's still a manageable amount of information in about 30 minutes or less.

Stuff You Missed in History Class podcast

Pop Culture Happy Hour: I look forward to Fridays so I can listen to the very opinionated PCHH team--Linda, Glen, Steven, and Trey--as they discuss pop culture. They all have different backgrounds, so it's fun to see how they dissect everything from the Kardashians to Dr. Who to Tony Soprano.

Pop Culture Happy Hour Podcast

The Dinner Party Download: This is my other favorite podcast for Fridays. They basically want you to be able to win your dinner party that you may attend that weekend by arming you with interesting topics. It's been set up like a dinner party with small talk, cocktails, the main course, etiquette, music, etc. It's random, but I love it!

The Dinner Party Download Podcast

The Truth: If you were or are a fan of radio dramas, then The Truth is for you . Their tag line is Movie For Your Ears, and they do an amazing job of creating scenes and stories and characters. They love storytelling and they do it for free, so if you feel inclined to donate to them, click here.

The Truth APM Podcast

99% Invisible: The guy who started this podcast--his name is Roman Mars. That should be a reason to listen to this podcast because of his kick-butt name. Beside that, it is an incredibly well done podcast on design and the stories behind the design. I have started to look at things differently because of this podcast.

99% Invisible Podcast

Freakonomics Radio: This podcast is similar to 99% Invisible in that they talk about the real story behind a topic. Steven Leavitt and Steven Dubner look at everything from an economist's point of view, so it appeals to my frugal, efficient side.

Freakonomics Radio podcast

Ted Talks: I love Ted Talks. I feel like I can discover a cure for cancer, run a marathon, become a mentor, and be an expert on dung beetles after I listen to these talks. A few of my favorites are by Amy Cuddy, Brene Brown, and Matt Cutts if you want to start somewhere.

TED Talks podcast

I realize I didn't list the very popular shows like This American Life or Radio Lab or Car Talk or Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me, but they are also very good and worth listening to.

What are your favorite podcasts? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What's that you say?